The Internet is buzzing with lists of “best apps,” “app reviews” and blogs about the latest and greatest technologies. Which ones are right for you?
Procedure for Training Sessions:
- Contact Joan — Contact Joan and provide information about your situation and training needs. You may be a rehabilitation or educational professional who is interested in learning to use technology such as an iPad in your practice or work setting or a family member who wants to learn to help someone else reach their goals faster using technology.
- Sign up — After hearing from you about your interests and needs, I will provide you with the details about how to sign up for a specific time and payment. I can help as much or as little as you want and need. Sessions can highlight technology tools and strategies that I select to help a particular type of client or any age or a particular setting (school, rehabilitation center, day treatment program) in which people are helped who have communication, cognitive, literacy or learning challenges.
- What you need to participate — We can have our sessions at my office in Rockville, MD or your home or workplace if you live within a reasonable driving distance. If you live too far away for an in-person session we can speak on the phone or meet online. I am able to show you technology that I use in action on the screen of your computer or tablet as long as you have high speed Internet access. To speak to each other we can use VOIP (speak and listen thru the computer or tablet if you download a small program), use a phone (it may be long distance for you) or Skype (free but you have to have an account.)
I have special screen sharing software that I use that is very high quality and have a way to show you software and apps in action. I have thousands of iDevice apps and will pre-select the ones I think are best for you. I also have an Android tablet- but not as many apps.
- Content of our discussion — Many of you realize you don’t know what you don’t know and may just leave the bulk of the content up to me to decide. I will spend time in advance selecting the technology tools that I think you may find the most helpful. I will also communicate with you about what you may already have and use prior to our scheduled session.
- Participants — Training sessions can be for one person, a small group or a large audience. Each person can be in his/her own home or office- there is no need to be in one location. Participants may be family members living in different parts of the country, therapists, educators or anyone else who is interested. I am licensed to private "speech therapy" in DC, MD or VA. If you want to learn about technology tools to help yourself, I would be happy to work with you in person or at a distance if you live in a state in which I am licensed and you should refer to the "therapy" section of this website.
- Recording — After the session, I will provide the participants the ability to view the recorded session for up to 2 weeks. If desired, I can also send a link with the ability to view the recorded session to a few other individuals who are involved. It’s often hard to get everyone together at one time for a live training session- and this way people can watch it at a time more convenient to them. It’s a great way to share information about strategies for using the selected apps and other technology tools to work with a specific individual toward selected goals.
- Professional Development/ Fundraising — For large groups of people this training session turns into a webinar. I have worked with private speech pathology practices, rehabilitation centers, assisted living facilities, vocational re-entry programs, recreational therapists, special educators, occupational therapists, tutors, neuropsychologists, graduate school professors, aphasia groups, state speech pathology associations and advocacy groups. I customize a presentation for all who can participate live- from any location- then record it and make it available for viewing when convenient. It is a great way to offer continuing education opportunities and can be used as a fundraising event. I am able to help with online registration for all events.